Wednesday, November 9, 2011

10 weeks old

My little baby turned 10 weeks old yesterday. I can still hardly believe that I am the mother of a ten week old. It's amazing. Last night we took her to a varsity football game and she needed some warm clothes to wear. Since she was born in the summer (the hottest day of the year! It was 110 on her birthday!), all of her NB and 0-3 months clothes are summery, so I pulled out the box of 3 months and 3-6 months. Wow, this child has more clothes for three months of her life than I've ever had at one time! Although her growing out of her newborn and 0-3 m clothes is kind of sad, pulling out the next batch of clothes was fun. There are SO many sweet, cute outfits that I'm excited to put on her. By the look of them, I was skeptical that they would fit since she's not quite three months yet, but they do! It's kind of bitter because my tiny baby is getting less tiny, but sweet because I'm seeing my daughter grow and change and learn new things and fit into cute new clothes! At ten weeks she still sleeps, a lot. She smiles, a lot, and I LOVE it. She is really chatty--and I love that, too. She is making new noises every day and kicking her legs more and is starting to realize that she has feet and hands. She is more aware of things, like Lola barking, so we put a toy on her carrier and she just stares at it figuring it out. Her schedule hasn't changed yet like I thought it would have. She nurses, is awake for an hour, sleeps for an hour, nurses...and repeat. And she is so good about her naps. I lay her on her tummy, give her a pacifier, and within a few minutes she'll be asleep. (Usually, that is. There are plenty of times I have to rock her, or want to rock her, swaddle her, and hold her until she falls asleep.) It's amazing how predictable it is. I'll look at the clock and think, "she's been asleep for an hour, I'll check on her, and sure enough, she's waking up. Then she'll nurse and we'll play and chat and then she'll get fussy and start yawning...I'll look at the clock, and sure enough, it's been an hour--nap time! After reading Baby Wise, I thought I would be more instrumental in setting her schedule, but that was not the case at all. It was me who needed to figure out her schedule and routine. The only thing I think I set was the cycle of eat, wake, sleep, which I prefer so she doesn't have to be nursed to sleep, she can put her self to sleep. I think I will benefit from this as she gets older--the idea is that she'll go to bed easily and not have to be rocked, I won't have to lie next to her until she falls asleep, I'll be able to tuck her in, read her a story, pray with her, kiss her goodnight, and walk away, not have to tiptoe out. At least that is the intent ;) She is getting better head control, more facial expressions, and we are still waiting for her first giggle... :D

No comments:

Post a Comment